Search This Blog

Sunday, April 19, 2015

my thoughts on asd and autism

I way prefer questions than people assuming..... One of the worst assumptions still is that asd people are low in intelligence.  I have studied up on both Dr Kanner (coined the term autism) and Dr Asperger (coined the term Asperger's syndrome).  In their actual notes, not what people say they said.  They both agree (even though they did not know about each others work) that their patients were bright, hence the difference between other labels.  Just stupid doctors these days have managed to only look at the deficits not the strengths and I strongly believe the medical profession today have done far more to disable our children than autism has.  Mozart could play beautifully and perfectly on a piano blindfolded by the time he was 5 years old, strange laugh, strange voice, found drawing all over the floor.  Thank god no one told his parents to stop him from obsessing over his love.  They encouraged and fostered it.  He was terrible in social situations other than when he was playing and would entertain people playing the piano while he was upside down.

My favourite saying these days is "encourage their strengths" and we live that daily.   My 3 year old knows more about the periodic table than I do, and may also end up being a linguist.  He tried to teach me the Russian alphabet over the Christmas holidays.  Or he might be into astronomy as he loves the solar system and was able to write mercury by the age of 2 years and 10 months.  I am not bragging I am trying to foster how incredible our asd kids are.
Yes he is diagnosed as moderately asd, at 3 years and nearly 10 months he is still partially verbal, has pica, bites and pushes, totally needs to be fully supervised around other children, runs, climbs and is only partially potty trained......oh the fun of being an asd mummy.

No comments: